Rustik Lys's TIPS for burning candles
Before you light the candle
Placing the candle
- Provide a non-flammable, suitable and stable candle holder.
- Make sure candles are firm and straight. A candle that is tilted always drips and smokes.
- The wick must be kept clean and short at all times (no longer than 1 cm). If necessary, cut the wick before lighting the candle and make sure the wick is upright. If the candle produces soot or a large flame, a piece of the wick must be cut.
- Keep a distance of at least 10 cm between burning candles. Candles that are too close together heat each other, which can cause the candle to drip.
- Never place a burning candle near children, pets or animals.
- Do not place burning candles in a draft. A candle on the draft is always dripping and smoking.
- Never place a candle near curtains or other flammable objects. After all, it is an open fire.
- Do not burn candles near other heat sources, such as TV, radiator, fireplace, etc. The candle may drip.
- Never place candles in direct sunlight. The high temperature can cause the candle to melt and discolour.
- Do not let bulb and pillar candles burn for longer than 3-4 hours at a time.
- Candles with a diameter of 10 cm or more should remain lit the first time until the candle has melted about 1 cm from the outer rim. This is to prevent 'tunnels' from forming, after which the candle can never burn properly again.
- Do not move burning candles!
- Do not leave burning candles unattended.
- Do not put a burnt match or other materials into the wax. This can cause a second flame, causing the candle to burn incorrectly and to drip, smoke or even worse, explode.
- Candles need enough oxygen to burn properly and must be able to dissipate their heat, so be careful when burning candles in lanterns.
- If the candle burns deeply, cut a piece off the edge.
- Do not allow candles to burn more than 2 cm from the candleholder.
- Extinguish candles with a candle extinguisher. Never extinguish a candle with water.
- Outdoor candles are sensitive to moisture in combination with frost. This can make them burst.
Burgemeester Sandbergstraat 17
2013 BR Haarlem, NL
+31 6 8199 2120
Mayala Home is a webshop. Pick-up is available by appointment. We are also represented at the Swan Market Store in Leiden and Utrecht.